Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Strawberries, Sweet Strawberries

Strawberries started showing up at my local farmer's market in early March. I just can't get enough. Here are two of my favorite ways to enjoy them these days:

Strawberry Mango Sorbet

*I used my Blendtec 3HP blender. If using a regular blender, strawberries may need to be thawed longer before blending.
Link


1 heaping cup frozen strawberries
1 large piece dried mango
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened hemp milk) + up to 1/2 cup more

The night before preparing, soak the dried mango in 1/2 cup of the non-dairy milk, covered, in the fridge. The next day you will have "mango cream" and the dried mango will be rehydrated. Just before blending, thaw strawberries for a minute or two. Place mango and mango cream in your blender, add strawberries on top, and blend on high (or the ice cream cycle if your blender has one), adding additional non-dairy milk as needed to reach desired consistency. How much additional non-dairy milk will determine what kind you are using and how much has been soaked up by the mango.

Serves one nutritarian.

Strawberries on Baby Greens with Tahini and Lime

Don't ask me why, but I can't get enough of these flavor combinations! If you're feeling adventurous, try making your own tahini from Bestrixed (click here).

1 pint strawberries
3-5 ounces baby greens salad mix with arugala
1 Tbs tahini
wedge of lime

Toss strawberries with baby greens and drizzle with tahini and lime juice. Serves one nutritarian.

4 comments:

kneecap said...

both these sound great. I can't wait to try them!

-barb

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you were going to post that sorbet!

Ooh, I like that lime and tahini combo. I've been on a lime streak myself lately. Strawberries have been good here too. I love those Japanese plates too. I'd love to eat that salad with chopsticks.

Erin said...

Strawberry, tahini and greens sound wonderful together! My favorite way to eat strawberries is a simple strawberry-banana smoothie.

Carry said...

We just picked up a 9-pack of mangos at Costco on Friday. I'm definitely going to try the strawberry-mango sorbet. Yum!