Friday, April 25, 2008

Balsamic Flax Vinaigrettes



For the past two years I have been using the same balsamic flax vinaigrette on my salads. I will admit that I am slightly addicted to it. My searches for another suitable vinaigrette have been futile until now. I have been snooping around the recipes on Everyday Dish TV for the past couple of weeks, and lo and behold I found Julie Hasson's balsamic flax vinaigrette which is similar enough to mine that it passed my taste test, yet different enough that it gives me some diversity. Since asparagus is in season and one of my favorite things is roasted asparagus on my evening salad, I could not resist but give Julie's vinaigrette a try. I think I have a new addiction! The addition of the nutritional yeast gives this vinaigrette a sophisticated flavor and a bit more weight to take on the roasted veggies. Here is a link to Julie Hasson's Balsamic Flax Vinaigrette, which is pictured on the salad above, and below is the recipe to my old standby.

My Usual Balsamic Flax Vinaigrette

Combine the following in a large measuring cup:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup flax seed oil
1/8 cup Bragg's liquid aminos
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp dried Italian herbs

Blend together using an immersion blender then pour into a cruet.